NSF Service-Oriented Optical Networks (SOON) Project
Many emerging next-generation Internet applications, such as videoconferencing, multimedia distribution, and high-performance scientific computing, are characterized by high bandwidth requirements, multi-source and multi-destination communication paradigms, strict QoS requirements with respect to delay and loss, and high reliability and survivability requirements. In order to support these diverse requirements, emerging networks must be able to manage resources in a flexible manner.
This project investigates a service-oriented optical network architecture that is enabled by an underlying optical transport network capable of dynamic and agile resource allocation. An optical transport layer provides the basic mechanisms for reserving resources, and an optical service layer builds a set of services over the basic optical transport layer. In the project, specific problems to be addressed include 1) investigating mechanisms for supporting manycast communication services in optical networks, 2) investigating mechanisms for providing survivability in such networks, and 3) developing methods for supporting reliable transport in optical networks. The proposed activity will result in a framework and an architecture for deploying a wide range of services in optical networks in order to support the requirements of the most demanding next-generation applications. The project will also result in the development of new algorithms and protocols for implementing manycasting and providing reliable services, and will lead to the development of analytical models for evaluating these algorithms and protocols. The broader impact of the proposed activity is that it will provide valuable training for graduate students, preparing them for careers in research and engineering in the field of optical networking.
Dr. Vinod Vokkarane and Dr. Jason Jue
- B. Komattireddy, D. Chandran, and V.M. Vokkarane, "TCP-Aware Load-Balanced
Routing in Optical Burst-Switched (OBS) Networks,"
IEEE/OSA OFC/NFOEC 2007, Anaheim, CA, Mar. 2007.
- X. Huang, Q. She, V.M. Vokkarane, and J.P. Jue, "Manycasting over Optical
Burst-Switched Networks," Proceedings, IEEE International
Conference on Communications (ICC) 2007.
- Q. She, X. Huang, N. Kannasoot, Q. Zhang, and J.P. Jue, "Multi-Resource Manycast over Optical Burst Switched Networks," Proceedings, IEEE ICCCN 2007.
- B. Komatireddy and V.M. Vokkarane,, "Source-Ordering for Improved TCP Performance over Load-Balanced Optical Burst-Switched (OBS) Networks," Proceedings, IEEE BroadNets 2007.
- Y. Zhu, G. Jiang, and J.P. Jue, "Time-Constrained Content Delivery in Multicast-Capable Optical Networks," Proceedings, IEEE Globecom 2007.
- Q. She, X. Huang, Q. Zhang, Y. Zhu, and J.P. Jue, "Survivable Traffic Grooming for Anycasting in WDM Mesh Networks," Proceedings, IEEE Globecom 2007.
- B.G. Bathula, V.M. Vokkarane, and R.R.C. Bikram, "Impairment-Aware Manycasting Over Optical Burst-Switched Networks," Proceedings, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2008), Beijing, China, May 2008.